Tuesday 20 July 2010

A trip through the history of food, yum!

On Friday afternoon we left our comfort zone of East London and journeyed to Belgravia for our favourite jellymongers Bompas and Parr's Complete history of food. We started off by being prescribed a potion by the beautiful doctor to cure our ills before being herded to the basement to walk the plank over the eel infested water to take our medicine inside the bowls of the gloomy ship (my personal poison came in the shape of a pear cocktail with a lemon ice popsicle in it)
An express elevator whisked us up to the rooftop herb garden were the highlight was fizzy grapes submerged in flat champagne. It also inspired me to cram my garden with more herbs next summer, who needs flowers?
 For a bit of fun we traveled in time to the 50's where modern dining presided over tasteful dining and we had the dubious delight of a scratch and sniff dinner.... i think i would have gone on a diet in the 50's!
After a bounce around the inflatable tummy we took a stroll down (my highlight) mushroom alley.
The Main event was the Victorian Banquette inside a giant dinosaur which was eclipsed by the SUBLIME duck. My mouth is literally watering as i think of the flesh that fell away from the bone and the skin.... oh the skin. My description and photo don't do it justice, take my word for it!
Obviously no Bompas and Parr experience would be complete without jelly and what a wantonly wobbly jelly it was, made me giggle every time i wobbled it (a lot). This probably was due to the fact i was now quite sloshed by all the amazingly beautiful cocktails that we had flowed throughout the event, however a bad taste was left in my mouth be the fact EVERYTHING was branded with the drink name (which i am not going to mention here), no class people!
It really was a lot of fun and i would recommend it to anyone if it wasn't over! However keep and eye out for future events by this dynamic duo, I'm sure they wont disappoint.

As if we weren't greedy enough later that evening after a few drinks in Soho we went for some serious comfort eating at very reasonable Bi Bim Bap a Korean restaurant that serves the national rice dish of the same name. I was meant to take a photo before but forgot in my haste to eat this beauty. However i think our empty plates speak for themselves, go try it.

2 comments:

  1. I loooove bibimbap! Theres that funny korean place near the base of centrepoint that does a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH where where? its highly addictive and i need a fix soon and Centrepoint is right near where my fella works!

    ReplyDelete